Monday, February 6, 2012

Grama and Nana



Today's prompt for NaBloPoMo is grandparents. I think I forgot to mention in an earlier post that the theme for this month is "relative" - although you've likely figured it out by now. The cold's gotten worse from last night to today, so I'm still in a foggy writing zone - although a few people seemed to identify with the lovely feelings that go along with a cold, so I will attempt another post in this state.

My grama (yes I do know how to spell grandma, this is just what I call her - actually had an English teacher who corrected the spelling in an essay I wrote...anyway...) - she always says that colds are 3 days coming, 3 days staying, and 3 days going. I'm hoping that since this cold came on in a day, it will retain the symmetrical behavior and will leave quickly...not sure if it really works that way.

My mom's mom has always been grama and my dad's mom has always been nana. Both of my grandfathers died before I was born - my mom's dad in a famous airplane crash over the grand canyon when she was 2.

Now, to relate this to the environment. My mom's side of the family has had a house in West Cornwall, CT for generations, and I believe this contributed for my love of nature. I was always excited to escape the humid, smelly, grey city for some fresh air, especially in the summer time. I don't have any cousins my age - actually no first cousins on my mom's side of the family - so I was left to my own devises to find things to interest me. I would play with lizards and catch frogs from the pond - certainly something I wouldn't have gotten a chance to do in the city.

My dad's mother - nana - lived in Queens until recently when she moved into an assisted living house closer to my parents. When her mind was still sharp she was witty and always very sweet. I think the biggest lesson I've learned from her is to maintain continued exercise of my mind and body. I contribute part of her deterioration to her lack of exercise both mentally and physically. She hardly left the house and was convinced that she didn't like exercise, even walking. I know this isn't the most positive lesson to take away from her, but it is an important one and I try to learn things from every situation.

I think that'll be it for today's post. I always appreciate comments and have added a new feature to the blog located on the bottom - if I'm online when you are feel free to chat me!

~Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment